1 compact disc.
2 Civil Defence.
3 Corps Diplomatique.
* * *noun1. a debt instrument issued by a bank; usually pays interest• Syn: ↑certificate of deposit• Hyponyms: ↑time deposit2. a digitally encoded recording on an optical disk that is smaller than a phonograph record; played back by a laser• Hyponyms:↑audio CD, ↑audio compact disc, ↑CD-R, ↑compact disc recordable, ↑CD-WO, ↑compact disc write-once, ↑CD-ROM, ↑compact disc read-only memory
* * *abbreviation1. candela2. canned3. card4. cataloged5. command6. commissioned7. condemned8. cord9. could
* * *1. See certificate of deposit.2. Civil Defense.3. Community Development.4. See compact disk.
* * *abbrev1. Civil Defence2. Compact disc3. Contagious disease(s)4. Controlled drug5. Corps Diplomatique (French), Diplomatic Corps
* * *compact disc: a small round piece of hard plastic with sound recorded on it or computer information stored on it
He had a huge collection of CDs and cassettes.Thesaurus: computer memory and data storage deviceshyponym recording equipment and general words for recordinghyponym
* * *cd.,cord or cords.c.d.,cash discount.Cd (no period),cadmium (chemical element).CD (no periods) or C.D.,1. certificate of deposit.2. civil defense.3. compact disk: »
Because there is no groove in a CD, there are none of the mechanical problems involved in keeping a phonograph needle in a groove (Suburbia Today).
* * *abbr.■ certificate of deposit■ civil defense■ compact disc■ corps diplomatique
* * *I/ˌsiːˈdiː/ noun, pl CDs: a small plastic disk on which information (such as music or computer data) is recorded[count]
The singer released her new CD [=a new set of songs recorded on CDs for people to buy] last month.
a four-CD set
The car stereo includes a CD player.[noncount]
The band's early albums are now available on CD.— called also compact disc— compare———————— II
<sup>2</sup>CDnoun, pl CDs [count]— compare
* * *the abbreviation for ‘compact disc ’ (a small disc on which sound or information is recorded. CDs are played on a special machine called a CD player)
His albums are availableon CD
and online.See also: ↑discCollocations:listen to/enjoy/love/be into music/classical music/jazz/pop/hip-hop, etc.listen to the radio/an MP3 player/a CDput on/play a CD/a song/some musicturn down/up the music/radio/volume/bassgo to a concert/festival/gig/performance/recitalcopy/burn/rip music/a CD/a DVDdownload music/an album/a song/a demo/a videoplay a musical instrument/the piano/percussion/a note/a riff/the melody/a concerto/a duet/by earsing an anthem/a ballad/a solo/an aria/the blues/in a choir/soprano/alto/tenor/bass/out of tunehum a tune/a theme tune/a lullabyaccompany a singer/choirstrum a chord/guitarform/start/get together/join/quit/leave a bandgive a performance/concert/recitaldo a concert/recital/gigplay a concert/gig/festival/venueappear at a festival/livego on/embark on a (world) tourwrite/compose music/a ballad/a melody/a tune/a song/a theme song/an opera/a symphonyland/get/sign a record dealbe signed to/be dropped by a record companyrecord/release/put out an album/a single/a CDbe top of/top the chartsget to/go straight to/go straight in at/enter the charts at number oneExample Bank:
Do you mind if I change the CD?
How many tracks are on the CD?
She inserted a CD into the machine.
That was the first album to come out on CD.
The band's new CD is released next week.
You can record your own CD if you have the right equipment.
a live CD of the band's latest concert
Useful english dictionary. 2012.